tabs in psql

От Seb
Тема tabs in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm fairly new to postgresql, and I'm having some problems understanding
the syntax of SQL statements in psql.  According to the documentation,
white space can be used freely.  However, the following fails:

CREATE TABLE test
 (
    id    Int8,
    phenotype Varchar(510),
    genotype  Varchar(510)
);
testdb(> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "Varchar"
LINE 4:     phenotype Varchar(510),
                      ^

where the field name and data type spec are separated by a tab
character.  However, this works if the tab is separated by a single
space.  Can someone please explain how this is controlled, and what the
proper syntax should be?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Seb