Re: pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

> Where did this come from? Adding values anywhere except on the end of the
> enumeration list will be fraught with danger, as will removing them. In
> essence, either operation would entail rewriting every table that used the
> type. Anything else carries a major risk of corruption. That seems like a
> pretty bad idea.

The TODO doesn't say anything about there not being restrictions. Only being
able to add to the end seems like a likely such restriction.

And removing entries is "only" an engineering problem where you have to go out
and check that there are no records referencing that entry.

--
  Gregory Stark