Re: revised hstore patch

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: revised hstore patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I'm prepared to give slightly more consideration to option #3:>> make the new code read the old format as well as
thenew one. I>> believe (though I have not yet tested) that it is possible to>> reliably distinguish the two with
relativelylow overhead, though>> the overhead would be nonzero, and do an in-core format conversion>> (which would
resultin writing out the new format if anything>> changed).

Jeff> It might be good to have a way to ensure that all values haveJeff> been upgraded to the new format. Otherwise you
havetoJeff> permanently maintain the old format even across multipleJeff> upgrades. Maybe that's not a big deal, but I
thoughtI'd bringJeff> it up.

Running  ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE hstore USING bar || '';
on all of your hstore columns would suffice to ensure that, I believe.
(Subject to testing once I actually have code for it, of course.)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)