Re: Inline Extension

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Inline Extension
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Hmm.  But CREATE EXTENSION / ALTER EXTENSION doesn't seem right,
> because the files in the directory correspond to *available*
> extensions, not already-created ones.  We need some way of dumping and

I would have limited the dump query to only known installed extensions,
right.  The update scripts are still needed because with inline
extensions you typically never see a 1.2 script but a 1.0 then 1.0--1.1
and then a 1.1--1.2.

> restoring the files themselves, not the extension that can be created
> from them.  I suspect internal functions (pg_whatever) make more sense
> than new SQL syntax, since this is really only to make pg_dump happy.

That could well be, yes, but what would this function do that the
commands are not doing?  I'm ok not to invent specific syntax to solve
that problem, I just think that we should already have all we need :)

>> Or do you still want to insist that dump/restore shouldn't care about
>> any extension, inline or not, and so you're given the responsibility to
>> do the exact same thing yourself on the client side?
>
> How about adding a new pg_dump option to suppress this part of the dump?

Makes sense, indeed.  Well one could of course manually filter the dump
object list too, of course…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine