Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes

От Florian Weimer
Тема Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Ants Aasma:

> CRC has exactly one hardware implementation in general purpose CPU's

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  Many general purpose CPUs have CRC
circuity, and there must be some which also expose them as
instructions.

> and Intel has a patent on the techniques they used to implement
> it. The fact that AMD hasn't yet implemented this instruction shows
> that this patent is non-trivial to work around.

I think you're jumping to conclusions.  Intel and AMD have various
cross-licensing deals.  AMD faces other constraints which can make
implementing the instruction difficult.