Re: Syntax checking DO blocks and ALTER TABLE statements?

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: Syntax checking DO blocks and ALTER TABLE statements?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 4:28 PM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:

>> in
>> >>

>> > Begin a transaction, execute the DO, capture an error if there is one,
>> > rollback the transaction.
>> >

>> As David points out, wrapping the whole thing in a transaction will at
>> least guarantee it all succeeds or it is all rollled back. This can be
>> frustrating if the statements are slow and there are a lot of them as it
>> can result in a very tedious do-run-fix cycle.
>>

> I do presume that someone wanting to test their code in this manner would
> be doing so in a test environment and an empty database.  Which makes the
> execution time very small.

True. However, it never ceases to amaze me how many places don't have
such environments. Far too often, my first task when commencing a new
engagement is to sort out environments and procedures to manage change.

> I personally would also solve the "lot of them" problem by using dynamic
> SQL, so one pretty much only has to test the code generator instead of all
> the actual executions - which can simply be confirmed fairly quickly once
> on a test database without the need for transactions.

Given the number, I think I would do the same. A good example of why
being 'lazy' can be a virtue. Faster and easier to write a procedure to
generate dynamic SQL than write out all those alter statements manually
or even write it using a scripting language and ODBC if there is
sufficient variation in the statements to make writing it in plsql
'messy'.

--
Tim Cross

Сообщение: Re: Syntax checking DO blocks and ALTER TABLE statements?
Сообщение: Re: Syntax checking DO blocks and ALTER TABLE statements?