Re: Time Zone design issues

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Time Zone design issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 09/10/07 19:50, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> This whole sub-thread actually is predicated on an assumption not
>> in evidence, which is that there is any browser anywhere that will
>> tell the http server timezone information.  I'm quite sure no such
>> thing is required by the http standard.
>
> I'm really surprised.

I think all you get is the localized language. If it's localized to a
particular country then that might be good enough for a guess from some
countries but there's not much you can do with en_US or ru_RU.

I think most big commercial sites that decide they need this just buy access
to one of the ip to geographic location services which are far from perfect
but in my experience are plenty good enough to get a reasonable time zone.

--
  Gregory Stark