Re: large numbers of inserts out of memory strategy

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: large numbers of inserts out of memory strategy
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 11/28/2017 06:54 PM, Ted Toth wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 11/28/2017 06:17 PM, Ted Toth wrote:
>>> I'm writing a migration utility to move data from non-rdbms data
>>> source to a postgres db. Currently I'm generating SQL INSERT
>>> statements involving 6 related tables for each 'thing'. With 100k or
>>> more 'things' to migrate I'm generating a lot of statements and when I
>>> try to import using psql postgres fails with 'out of memory' when
>>> running on a Linux VM with 4G of memory. If I break into smaller
>>> chunks say ~50K statements then thde import succeeds. I can change my
>>> migration utility to generate multiple files each with a limited
>>> number of INSERTs to get around this issue but maybe there's
>>> another/better way?
>>>

>> The question is what exactly runs out of memory, and how did you modify
>> the configuration (particularly related to memory).
>>
>> regards
>>
>> --
>> Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
>> PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services
>
> I'm pretty new to postgres so I haven't changed any configuration
> setting and the log is a bit hard for me to make sense of :(

The most interesting part of the log is this:
   SPI Proc: 2464408024 total in 279 blocks; 1672 free (1 chunks);
2464406352 used     PL/pgSQL function context: 537911352 total in 74 blocks; 2387536
free (4 chunks); 535523816 used

That is, most of the memory is allocated for SPI (2.4GB) and PL/pgSQL
procedure (500MB). How do you do the load? What libraries/drivers?

regards

Сообщение: Re: large numbers of inserts out of memory strategy
Сообщение: Re: large numbers of inserts out of memory strategy