Re: partitionning

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: partitionning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:

> With the advent of very large raid arrays with very fast caching
> controllers, this methodology is becoming less and less necessary.

I think the evidence is to the contrary. Witness the rather dramatic surge in
inquiries about this on this list. A year ago there were only two or three of
us pining for this feature. Now it's a weekly refrain.

Very large very fast raid arrays just mean that people want to gather that
much more data. They would still like to make the best use of their hardware
and not waste their resources on tremendously inefficient purging and loading
procedures when it would be possible to do these things instantaneously. That
only becomes more important as the investment they want to leverage becomes
larger.

--
greg