Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:

> > > Yep.  Even Knuth says that the tape goo is only interesting from a
> > > historical perspective and may not be relevant in an era of disk drives.
> >
> > As the size of the data grows larger the behaviour of hard drives looks more
> > and more like tapes. The biggest factor controlling the speed of i/o
> > operations is how many seeks are required to complete them. Effectively
> > "rewinds" are still the problem it's just that the cost of rewinds becomes
> > constant regardless of how long the "tape" is.
>
> But it will take a whole lot of those rewinds to equal the amount of
> time required by an additional pass through the data. I'll venture a
> guess that as long as you've got enough memory to still read chunks back
> in 8k blocks  that it won't be possible for a multi-pass sort to
> out-perform a one-pass sort.

Well that's clearly a bit overoptimistic. If we believe the random page cost
of 4 then having more tapes than you have spindles would impose a penalty
equal to having four times as many passes.

(And that's *with* the 8k block size. And with the kernel performing pre-fetch
already too.)

> For that to be of any use, wouldn't you need to use only as many tapes
> as spindles/2? Otherwise you're still trying to read and write from the
> same set of drives, which means you're probably doing a lot of seeking.
> Or do the tape algorithms re-write data as they read it?

Well, spindles-1. I was thinking as many tapes as you have spindles *in total*,
ie, including the output tape. You only have one output tape for each n-way
merge though.

--
greg

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Christof Petig copyright on include file, per author
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Christof Petig copyright