Re: Fastest Index/Algorithm to find similar sentences

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Fastest Index/Algorithm to find similar sentences
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I worked on a library project once that needed to perform similarity searches.

The first thing needed was to construct a word dictionary where there was a number corresponding to each word.
1, 'aardvark'
99999, 'zygote'

Then you need a list of stop words like 'AND', 'THE':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_words

Then, you write a sentence parser that turns words into their numbers
So now, a bibliography entry (for example) will be a vector of numbers.

You can query with things like wordcount, word x NEAR word y, etc.
If the database supports it, you can also query with bitmap indexes.
I have not used the PostgreSQL bitmap indexes much, but they look like they might be quite useful:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Bitmap_Indexes

We used something called ALA library parsing rules that stripped off special characters, made capitalization uniform,
etc.
http://www.ala.org/tools/guidelines/standardsguidelines
Something like this project was the outcome:
http://www.ala.org/lita/ital/21/4/su

You might look into library software.  Maybe you can find something useful here:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html

I see that there are some sourceforge MARC record projects:
http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/freshness:recently-updated/?q=marc%20records