Re: Limited varchar, unlimited varchar, or text?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Limited varchar, unlimited varchar, or text?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> I have myself been wondering if we couldn't converge the TEXT and
> VARCHAR types some more, but we're not likely to remove either one.

Can't we rip out all the code for, say, "text" and just treat "text" as an
alias for "varchar"?

That would make \d and pg_dump etc print "varchar" which might surprise users
but it would make it obvious that there really isn't any difference.

--
greg