Re: Brokenness in parsing of pg_hba.conf

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Brokenness in parsing of pg_hba.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:

> It's a.b.0.c.
>
> Note that the "c" can be bigger than 255, so 128.1.512 turns into
> 128.1.2.0.  This can make perfect sense when you still used
> classes.

Perhaps it'll seem less strange if I restate the rule so there aren't four
different cases:
 A dotted quad is 1-4 numbers separated by dots where each number is an 8 bit number except for the last which includes
allthe remaining bits in the 32 bit address.

It might seem strange to people used to networks smaller than /24. But if you
have a /16 with thousand hosts and don't need subnets it makes perfect sense
to number them from 1-1000 rather than using base 256.

I use it all the time for my net-10 addresses. They're subnetted into 10.1/16
10.2/16 etc. Sadly, I don't have thousands of hosts though.

--
greg