Re: General question about OS

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: General question about OS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Drexl Spivey <drexl@little-beak.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Don't want to start one of those endless internet tug of wars without end threads, but would like some other people's
opinions.

> First off, I use all Operating systems without problems, personally defaulting to linux at home, but mostly mac at
work.I use windows, when necessary, not my favorite.

> It seems in my little database development experience that this is one area where windows might actually offer the
best,most mature/developed choices. If this is the case, I should acclimate myself to it more.

> I have found many applications have been ported to other systems, but they don't seem as "good", and some programs
likePower Designer are windows only.

> Is database work heavily windows leaning??

Not my experience. Much of my work has been with Oracle and Postgres and
all of it has been on Linux (well, Unix originally Tru64, Solaris). In
medium to larger enterprises, it was often Linux based database backend and
Windows client frontend or Linux backend and 'client' delivered via web
based frontend, typically served from Linux Tomcat,Apache,*ngnix
etc. Smaller organisations tended to have more Windows servers with more
instances of MS SQL Server.

In recent years, I have seen a growth in MS SQL Server, especially with
growth in things like Sharepoint, Skype, MIM/MDM and the push towards
Azure. At the same time, we also see MS embracing Linux more with bash
and linux subsystem, availability of linux VMs in Azure etc.

For your larger databases, I see more Linux than MS. This could be
related to storage and file systems more than anything else.

--
Tim Cross

От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: General question about OS
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: General question about OS