Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/26/2018 04:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 4/25/18 04:50, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
>>> So full drop is not what ask for now (it will be needed for lts/enterprise
>>> distros for quite some time anyway), I just think that plpython3 should be
>>> the default (by build system, by 'plpythonu'=>'plpython3u', etc.).
>> I don't think we should do that unless there is an update to PEP 394.
> PEP 394 points out that some distros (at least Arch) have already switched
> "python" to mean "python3", and I gather from Pavel's inquiry that the day
> is in sight when Fedora will do that.  Perhaps we should think about
> providing a configure switch to control whether "plpythonu" means
> "plpython2u" or "plpython3u", so that distros can reasonably easily sync
> PG's behavior with whatever they've chosen to do with the python shell
> command.  I agree that it's not PG's business to be out in front of this
> change, but maybe we shouldn't be holding it back, either.
>
> I'm not very sure how many moving parts would be involved in making that
> happen.  One thing we should probably do first is retire the pg_pltemplate
> system catalog in favor of making PL extension scripts self-contained,
> as you'd mentioned recently would be a good project to finish off.

After installing python3, I switched buildfarm animal prion to build and
test with python3 instead of python2 a day or two ago. All this required
was setting PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 in the environment. Everything else
Just Worked.

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: Is there a memory leak in commit 8561e48?
Сообщение: Re: Is there a memory leak in commit 8561e48?