Re: best use of an EMC SAN

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: best use of an EMC SAN
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
"Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:

> Assuming we have 24 73G drives is it better to make one big metalun and carve
> it up and let the SAN manage the where everything is, or is  it better to
> specify which spindles are where.

This is quite a controversial question with proponents of both strategies.

I would suggest having one RAID-1 array for the WAL and throw the rest of the
drives at a single big array for the data files. That wastes space since the
WAL isn't big but the benefit is big.

If you have a battery backed cache you might not need even that. Just throwing
them all into a big raid might work just as well.

--
  Gregory Stark