Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

 Tom> TBH, I find this borderline insane: it's taking a problem we did
 Tom> not have and moving the goalposts to the next county. Not just any
 Tom> old county, either, but one where there's a shooting war going on.

 Tom> As soon as you do something like putting detailed preferences into
 Tom> the zone name selection rules, you are going to be up against
 Tom> problems like "should Europe/ have priority over Asia/, or vice
 Tom> versa?"

I would say that this problem exists with arbitrary preferences too.

 Tom> As long as we have a trivial and obviously apolitical rule like
 Tom> alphabetical order, I think we can skate over such things; but the
 Tom> minute we have any sort of human choices involved there, we're
 Tom> going to be getting politically driven requests to
 Tom> do-it-like-this-because-I-think- the-default-should-be-that.

The actual content of the rules I suggested all come from the tzdb
distribution; anyone complaining can be told to take it up with them.

For the record, this is the list of zones (91 out of 348, or about 26%)
that we currently deduce wrongly, as obtained by trying each zone name
listed in zone1970.tab and seeing which zone we deduce when that zone's
file is copied to /etc/localtime. Note in particular that our arbitrary
rules heavily prefer the deprecated backward-compatibility aliases which
are the most likely to disappear in future versions.

(not all of these are fixable, of course)

Africa/Abidjan -> GMT
Africa/Cairo -> Egypt
Africa/Johannesburg -> Africa/Maseru
Africa/Maputo -> Africa/Harare
Africa/Nairobi -> Africa/Asmara
Africa/Tripoli -> Libya
America/Adak -> US/Aleutian
America/Anchorage -> US/Alaska
America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires -> America/Buenos_Aires
America/Argentina/Catamarca -> America/Catamarca
America/Argentina/Cordoba -> America/Cordoba
America/Argentina/Jujuy -> America/Jujuy
America/Argentina/Mendoza -> America/Mendoza
America/Argentina/Rio_Gallegos -> America/Argentina/Ushuaia
America/Chicago -> US/Central
America/Creston -> MST
America/Curacao -> America/Aruba
America/Denver -> Navajo
America/Detroit -> US/Michigan
America/Edmonton -> Canada/Mountain
America/Havana -> Cuba
America/Indiana/Indianapolis -> US/East-Indiana
America/Indiana/Knox -> America/Knox_IN
America/Jamaica -> Jamaica
America/Kentucky/Louisville -> America/Louisville
America/Los_Angeles -> US/Pacific
America/Manaus -> Brazil/West
America/Mazatlan -> Mexico/BajaSur
America/Mexico_City -> Mexico/General
America/New_York -> US/Eastern
America/Panama -> EST
America/Phoenix -> US/Arizona
America/Port_of_Spain -> America/Virgin
America/Rio_Branco -> Brazil/Acre
America/Sao_Paulo -> Brazil/East
America/Toronto -> Canada/Eastern
America/Vancouver -> Canada/Pacific
America/Whitehorse -> Canada/Yukon
America/Winnipeg -> Canada/Central
Asia/Dhaka -> Asia/Dacca
Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh -> Asia/Saigon
Asia/Hong_Kong -> Hongkong
Asia/Jerusalem -> Israel
Asia/Kathmandu -> Asia/Katmandu
Asia/Kuala_Lumpur -> Singapore
Asia/Macau -> Asia/Macao
Asia/Riyadh -> Asia/Aden
Asia/Seoul -> ROK
Asia/Shanghai -> PRC
Asia/Singapore -> Singapore
Asia/Taipei -> ROC
Asia/Tehran -> Iran
Asia/Thimphu -> Asia/Thimbu
Asia/Tokyo -> Japan
Asia/Ulaanbaatar -> Asia/Ulan_Bator
Atlantic/Reykjavik -> Iceland
Atlantic/South_Georgia -> Etc/GMT+2
Australia/Adelaide -> Australia/South
Australia/Broken_Hill -> Australia/Yancowinna
Australia/Darwin -> Australia/North
Australia/Lord_Howe -> Australia/LHI
Australia/Melbourne -> Australia/Victoria
Australia/Perth -> Australia/West
Australia/Sydney -> Australia/ACT
Europe/Belgrade -> Europe/Skopje
Europe/Dublin -> Eire