Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Clearly any client using libpq can conveniently call code which is in
>> libpq.

> Clearly there are clients that don't use libpq.  JDBC comes to mind.

Yeah.  I'm also rather concerned about the bloat factor; it's
hardly unlikely that this line of development would double the
size of libpq, to add functionality that only a small minority
of applications would use.  A client-side implementation also has
no choice but to cope with multiple server versions, and to
figure out what it's going to do about a too-new server.
Up to now we broke compatibility between libpq and server maybe
once every couple decades, but it'd be once a year for this.