Re: Concerns about this release

От Jason Earl
Тема Re: Concerns about this release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> writes:

> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
>
> > Just for the record, I *never* use a x.x version of anything, especially
> > Postgres.  I'll wait until at least 7.2.1 before running it on a production
> > server...
> >
> > Not saying that there's anything wrong with 7.2 - just that there's _always_
> > interesting problems (look at the changelogs for 7.1.1 - 7.1.3)
>
> On the other hand, *somebody's* got to use x.x, otherwise the
> "interesting" problems would never get found.  ;)

It's simple.  The people who use the x.x releases are those that
either 1) need the added functionality or 2) haven't read the HACKERS
mailing list :).

Personally the new non-locking VACUUM is enough of a win for me that I
will be giving 7.2 a whirl sooner rather than later.  In fact, I have
a planned downtime over the Christmas holiday, and I have been toying
with the idea of rolling out whatever is available (even if it isn't
the official release).  In fact, if there was a Debian package of
7.2b4 I would probably be running it right now (hint hint).

Jason