Re: Compromised postgresql instances

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Compromised postgresql instances
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

 > Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
 >> Please cite actual instances of such reports. Vague queries like
 >> this help nobody.

We do also get them on the IRC channel every once in a while, not
very frequently but enough to notice (maybe 2-3 so far this year?).

 Tom> Unless there's some evidence that these attacks are getting in
 Tom> through a heretofore unknown PG security vulnerability, rather
 Tom> than user misconfiguration (such as weak/no password), I'm not
 Tom> sure what the security list would have to offer. Right now it
 Tom> seems like Steve's move to try to gather more evidence is quite
 Tom> the right thing to do.

Right. All the instances on IRC that I'm personally aware of have
followed this pattern: either the user has used "host all all 0.0.0.0/0
trust", or they used "host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5" where the password for
the postgres user has been one where it's plausible that a simple
automated dictionary attack could have guessed it (e.g. "654321" in one
report).

Excuses for doing this have varied (but I'm pretty sure I've heard "we
put that in while trying to fix a problem and forgot to take it out"
more than once - so it's worth a reminder that one should never, ever,
suggest this on any help forum).

The reports are similar enough and generic enough that it seems pretty
certain that the scanning and subsequent compromise is all automated;
some reports have included a (failed) attempt to use local root exploits
to escalate from the postgres user to root access. Compromised systems
have been reportedly used as DDoS traffic sources and for cryptocurrency
mining, but obviously other uses can't be ruled out. I don't know of any
reports of data being exfiltrated or modified, but that doesn't mean it
doesn't happen.

I have (private) logs of the channel going back a while, but I haven't
made any attempt to track how often it happens - the above is basically
all from memory.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Сообщение: Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tablesare not supported
Сообщение: Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tablesare not supported