Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
<david@lang.hm> writes:

>> If you are completely over-writing an entire stripe, there's no reason to
>> read the existing data; you would just calculate the parity information from
>> the new data. Any good controller should take that approach.
>
> in theory yes, in practice the OS writes usually aren't that large and aligned,
> and as a result most raid controllers (and software) don't have the
> special-case code to deal with it.

I'm pretty sure all half-decent controllers and software do actually. This is
one major reason that large (hopefully battery backed) caches help RAID-5
disproportionately. The larger the cache the more likely it'll be able to wait
until the entire raid stripe is replaced avoid having to read in the old
parity.

--
  Gregory Stark