Re: not exactly a bug report, but surprising behaviour

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: not exactly a bug report, but surprising behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> > I'm watching this query I'm working on now drive the cpu to 100% for 6+ hours
> > with virtually no I/O. And I think it's the best I can do. All the times is
> > being spent moving bits around from one place to another.
>
> It would be interesting to see a gprof profile of that.

Ok, I have a copy of postgres built with -pg now. I'm running grpof on the
gmon.out file but all I'm seeing is this:

  %   cumulative   self              self     total
 time   seconds   seconds    calls  ms/call  ms/call  name
100.00      0.01     0.01        1    10.00    10.00  InitFreeSpaceMap
  0.00      0.01     0.00    12296     0.00     0.00  LWLockAssign
  0.00      0.01     0.00      323     0.00     0.00  GUC_yylex
  0.00      0.01     0.00      123     0.00     0.00  ShmemAlloc
  0.00      0.01     0.00      123     0.00     0.00  tas
  0.00      0.01     0.00       79     0.00     0.00  AllocSetFreeIndex

I assume this is only the postmaster initialization as I've run a smaller
version of the job which took 8 minutes. Is there an easy trick to getting
gmon.out output from a specific backend process?

> > It occurs to me that it's possible postgres is doing this already at a lower
> > level of abstraction.
>
> Yes, tuplesort.c has heard of pushing pointers around rather than
> copying records.  I wonder though whether data is being pushed out to
> kernel disk buffers and then back in again --- do you have sort_mem
> set large enough?

Yes, this is the job I asked about sort_mem for. I have it up to 64M and no
pgsql_tmp files are being created.

--
greg