Re: the build

От Nic Ferrier
Тема Re: the build
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
"Paul Sorenson" <pauls@classware.com.au> writes:

> Nic,
>
> I am not sure exactly what your design aims are - I personally tend to set
> reasonable defaults if possible and let the individuals doing the compiling
> override whatever they like.  If you can't set defaults then would it be
> reasonable to build all configurations (at least those that are possible
> with the available compiler)?
>
> I noticed you haven't used the compiler attribute of the javac task.  Either
> I have completely misunderstood what you are trying to do or you have a
> specific reason for not doing this.

Note that I didn't make the build.

It's easy to add gcj as a compiler, as long as there is some way of
telling make that it should be the compiler. The traditional way with
autotools is to do it with a macro JAVAC which can autodetect the
java compiler from the path and from conventional homes but be
overriden with an env var from the user, this:

  ./configure --with-java

might find /usr/local/bin/javac but

  JAVAC=jikes ./confgure --with-java

would find the jikes from the PATH.

This is easy to fit into postgresql's autoconf build, simply add the
macros and a line to the build.properties specifying the
build.compiler.

The other bits are more difficult, and more important IMHO because
they effect cross compilation which is something one wants to do
sometimes when testing code for release.

Nic