Re: "Out of memory" errors..

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: "Out of memory" errors..
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Lim Berger" <straightfwd007@gmail.com> writes:

> On 8/13/07, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> "Lim Berger" <straightfwd007@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am getting the following error while running queries such as "vacuum
>> > analyze TABLE", even on small tables with a piddly 35,000 rows!
>> >
>> > The error message:
>> > --
>> > ERROR:  out of memory
>> > DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 67108860.
>> > --
>> >
>> > My postgresql.conf is below. I am on a Dual Core server with 4GB or
>> > RAM, which runs MySQL as well (key_buffer for which is at around
>> > 800M).
>>
>> What version of Postgres is this?
>
> =# select version();
>                                                 version
>  PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
> (1 row)

Hm, this is quite odd.

Could you give more information? You're getting this on lots of different
tables? Could you give more examples? And do you get it on anything other than
vacuum analyze? What does the schema look like?

Do you have any hash indexes? (there was a bug fixed in 8.2.4 with them)
Do you have anything else unusual like tsearch2 or custom C modules loaded?

Has anything unusual happened to this machine such as a server crash or power
failure? Is anything else failing? Can you run a good memory tester like
memtest86? Could you check your dmesg log to see if there are any system
problems?

--
  Gregory Stark