Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> writes:

> I wish there was a way to get the results of explain into some table. I wish
> it was the default output "format". That would make life of pgAdmin easier,
> and improve readability even in psql. Do not you think there is something
> wrong with having "cost=... rows=... loops=..." in each and every row?

A number of people have suggesting we switch to XML.

An alternative would be to build up a tuplestore of data and then send that to
the client in a separate result set. That's kind of nice because it would give
us a way to send both the real results and the explain results. And at least
we already have an api for accessing result sets.

Oracle's approach is to have the explain command stuff the results into a
table. That has advantages for tools, especially if you want to be able to
look at plans generated by other sessions. But it's pretty awkward for the
simple case.

I'm sure there are dozens of ways to skin this cat. Anyone have any more?
We probably just have to pick one and run with it.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!