Re: Pet Peeves?

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Pet Peeves?
Дата
Re: Pet Peeves?
Список pgsql-general
rhubbell <Rhubbell@iHubbell.com> writes:

> Nope, had to find it in another package called libpq-dev.
> That's on UbuntuHardy. Maybe it's a maintainer problem?
>
> What logic would lead someone to separate pg_config from everything else?
> Do people often just install the server and nothing else? Then what?

This is actually *required* by Debian/Ubuntu packaging rules.

The development environment must be packaged separately from shared libraries
like libpq or else major snafus arise when a new soversion of libpq comes out.
You need to be able to have both versions installed simultaneously (in case
you have programs which require both) but that won't work if they both contain
things like header files or executables.

> BTW I ran into the need for pg_config upon installing DBD::Pg.
> Maybe DBD::Pg maintainer problem?

Installing a package for DBD::Pg or building it? The former would indeed be a
package bug.

--
  Gregory Stark