Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Дата
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Список pgsql-hackers
> If what the user wanted was to be using MySQL, he is out of luck
> anyway.

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about having a nice
client tool for those people having to do both MySQL and PostgreSQL
support, or new to PostgreSQL and comming from MySQL.

I'll give my vote to Peter's idea that show tables; should better act as
if you typed \d.

I don't see what the gain is to refuse being nice to MySQL newcomers
when someone actually does the work. If the USE keyword is one we want
to keep free for our own usage, let just skip that compat option.

> I'm actually no big advocate of the \d commands.  They're basically
> magical queries that you can't easily see or edit

We already have the psql \set ECHO_HIDDEN command to easily see the
query, then it's a copy/paste away. I'd propose to have this setting
also make it so that the query it runs is placed in the buffer for next
\e command, which is not the case in 8.4.

Regards,
--
dim