Re: [INTERFACES] Tables names from query

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Tables names from query
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Philip Shiels <philip.shiels@jrc.it> writes:
> I'm currently developing a postgres DB backend to my current project and have
> the following problem. If I execute a query I need to know the table the
> returning fields belong to. For example :

> SELECT x.y, z.y from x, y where x.key = z.key

Can you use "SELECT AS"?  For instance

    SELECT x.y AS x_y, z.y AS z_y WHERE ...

A bit grotty, but there's no hope of changing the column-labeling
behavior without modifying the innards of the backend; the column names
you see in psql are all the info there is on the client side.

I dunno whether it would be a good idea to change the backend's column
labeling rules for this case or not.  I'd be worried about breaking
existing applications that depend on the current labeling rules...