Re: [DOCS] Need help finding all possible parameters for wal_level

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: [DOCS] Need help finding all possible parameters for wal_level
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
None <espressobeanies@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm searching for all of the possible parameters for setting the
> "wal_level" outlined in the PostgreSQL Streaming Replication article:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication
>
> I currently see hot_standby, but I can't find a list for all of the
> parameters that setting will take. Where can I find that?

You didn't even tell us what version is relevant here but let's assume 9.6...

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-wal.html

wal_level (enum)

    wal_level determines how much information is written to the WAL. The default value is minimal, which writes only
theinformation needed to recover from a crash or immediate shutdown.
    replica adds logging required for WAL archiving as well as information required to run read-only queries on a
standbyserver. Finally, logical adds information necessary to support
    logical decoding. Each level includes the information logged at all lower levels. This parameter can only be set at
serverstart.

    In minimal level, WAL-logging of some bulk operations can be safely skipped, which can make those operations much
faster(see Section 14.4.7). Operations in which this optimization can
    be applied include:

    CREATE TABLE AS
    CREATE INDEX
    CLUSTER
    COPY into tables that were created or truncated in the same transaction

    But minimal WAL does not contain enough information to reconstruct the data from a base backup and the WAL logs, so
replicaor higher must be used to enable WAL archiving (archive_mode)
    and streaming replication.

    In logical level, the same information is logged as with replica, plus information needed to allow extracting
logicalchange sets from the WAL. Using a level of logical will increase the
    WAL volume, particularly if many tables are configured for REPLICA IDENTITY FULL and many UPDATE and DELETE
statementsare executed.

    In releases prior to 9.6, this parameter also allowed the values archive and hot_standby. These are still accepted
butmapped to replica.

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Need help finding all possible parameters for wal_level
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Need help finding all possible parameters for wal_level