Re: Final Patch for GROUPING SETS

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Final Patch for GROUPING SETS
Дата
Re: Final Patch for GROUPING SETS  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>> (yaml format)>> Grouping Sets:>>   - - "two">>     - "four">>   - - "two">>   -
Marti> Now this is weird.

You're telling me. Also, feeding it to an online yaml-to-json
converter gives the result as [["two","four"],["two"],null] which is
not quite the same as the json version. An alternative would be:
 Grouping Sets:   - - "two"     - "four"   - - "two"   - []

or
 Grouping Sets:   -     - "two"     - "four"   -     - "two"   - []

though I haven't managed to get that second one to work yet.
Marti> But is anyone actually using YAML output format, or was itMarti> implemented simply "because we can"?

Until someone decides to dike it out, I think we are obligated to make
it produce something resembling correct output.
Marti> The reason I bring this up is that queries are frequentlyMarti> dynamically generated by programs.

Good point.
>> would you want the original syntax preserved in views
Marti> Doesn't matter IMO.

I think it's fairly consistent for the parser to do this, since we do
a number of other normalization steps there (removing excess nesting
and so on). This turns out to be quite trivial.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)