Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links

От Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Leon <leon@udmnet.ru> writes:

> > 3) Be aware of hardware improvements.  System performance is
> > still doubling every 18 months.  If a software hack can't match
> > that rate, it is probably not worth doing.
>
> Oh, that argument again :)  I'll tell you - sooner or later
> this development will stop. There are purely physical obstacles
> that prevent manufacturing of silicon chips with frequencies much
> higher than 10 gigahertz.

Furthermore, the continuous availability of ever faster hardware at
low prices will slow down very soon, now that the MS Windows users
finally don't need to upgrade to twice as fast computers every 18
months just to be able to run the latest version of MS bloatware, and
will spend their money on peripherals and fast net access instead.

...but as for "purely physical obstacles", I don't buy it.  We will
always find a way to make what we need.  Count on it.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size