Re: [patch] build issues on Win32

От Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Тема Re: [patch] build issues on Win32
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Any such platform would already be contending with plpgsql not working,
> encoding conversion not working, etc etc.  It's barely conceivable that
> a client-only installation would be useful.

Uh, I don't understand why it's so hard to conceive that someone might
need the client library to access a database running on one machine from
an application running on another.

> AFAICT the only case where anyone tries to do this is they have a
> personal preference to avoid shared libraries, for generally-pretty-
> darn-dubious reasons.

Well, statically linked binaries are much easier to distribute, for one;
and there are platforms where shared libraries simply do not exist, or
where the entire system runs in a single namespace.  Netware is still
alive and kicking.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no