locale and multibyte together in 7.1

От tolik@aaanet.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Тема locale and multibyte together in 7.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I use Postgres 7.1, FreeBSD 4.0

I configure, build and install it with:

./configure --enable-locale --enable-multibyte --with-perl
gmake
gmake install

initdb -E KOI8

The problem is: when database encoding and client encoding are
different then 'locale' features, such as 'upper' etc don't work. When these
two encodings are equal - all is OK.

Example, commets are marked by -->:

tolik=# \l     List of databasesDatabase  | Owner | Encoding
-----------+-------+----------cmw       | cmw   | ALTtemplate0 | tolik | KOI8template1 | tolik | KOI8tolik     | tolik
|ALT     --> database 'tolik' has ALT (one of                                russian) encoding

(4 rows)

tolik=# \c
You are now connected to database tolik as user tolik.
tolik=# \encoding KOI8           --> I change client encoding to KOI8,                                    another
russianencoding

tolik=# select upper ('выбор');  --> argument is russian word in                                     lowercaseupper
-------выбор                           --> result don't change
(1 row)

tolik=# \encoding ALT            --> I set client encoding equals                                    to DB encoding
tolik=# select upper ('выбор');upper
-------ВЫБОР                           --> Now it works, result is the                                    same word in
uppercase:(

(1 row)

I did'nt observe this feature in 6.* versions of Postgres.

Any ideas? Or help?

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff                 Email:    tolik@aaanet.ru
http://tolikus.hq.aaanet.ru:8080    Phone:      (8632)-710071