ERROR: control reached end of function without RETURN, except, it is not a function it is a procedure or a nameless block.

От Herwig Goemans
Тема ERROR: control reached end of function without RETURN, except, it is not a function it is a procedure or a nameless block.
Дата
Ответы Re: ERROR: control reached end of function without RETURN, except, it is not a function it is a procedure or a nameless block.  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Support,

I get an error in a stored procedure - not a stored function mind you -
control reached end of function without RETURN

The error occurs when doing an exit <label> in  a stored procedure. Now
I cannot give all of the stored procedures involved but I can simulate
te problem with a very simple block:

DO
$BODY$
<<simple_block>>
BEGIN
begin
                exit simple_block;
          -- for demo purposes
               raise notice '%', 'unreachable!';
    end;
    raise notice '%', 'End of block';
end;
$BODY$

This will return the error on Postgres version 13, Version 12 and 9.

Now I thought this was text-book behaviour of exiting a code block. I do
not like programming this way but it is part of a migration project of
Oracle to PG.

What do I miss ?

Kind regards,

If you put this code snippet in a file and execute like:

postgres@herwig-NUC10i7FNH:~$ psql -f  do_test.sql
psql:do_test.sql:12: ERROR:  control reached end of function without RETURN
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block

Herwig