Re: Internationalized error messages

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Internationalized error messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Well, SQL defines these.  Do we want to make our own list?  However,
> numeric codes also have the advantage that some hierarchy is possible.
> E.g., the "22" in "2200G" is actually the category code "data exception".
> Personally, I would stick to the SQL codes but make some readable macro
> name for backend internal use.

We will probably find cases where we need codes not defined by SQL
(since we have non-SQL features).  If there is room to invent our
own codes then I have no objection to this.

>> I am not sure we can/should use gettext (possible license problems?),

> Gettext is an open standard, invented at Sun IIRC.  There is also an
> independent implementation for BSDs in the works.  On GNU/Linux system
> it's in the C library.  I don't see any license problems that way.

Unless that BSD implementation is ready to go, I think we'd be talking
about relying on GPL'd (not LGPL'd) code for an essential component of
the system functionality.  Given RMS' recent antics I am much less
comfortable with that than I might once have been.