Re: 7.5 beta version

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 7.5 beta version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:21:30PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I was not sure if Win32 had standard alignment for C.

> Good point.  There's standards, and then there's Windows.  It's possible
> that separate "tight-packing" and "regular" pragmas are used there, just
> for structs that are expected to be used across linkage boundaries.

"#pragma pack" is one of the worst, most dangerous inventions in the
history of software development :-(.  However, I don't think we should
be at any great risk from it, since we don't use it in our own code.
The case that's really hazardous is where you have separately compiled
libraries interfacing through nontrivial struct declarations...  I still
have the scars from making libjpeg do things that way...