Re: Patch to add 'id'

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Patch to add 'id'
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Jun 10, 2018, at 3:29 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

On 10 Jun 2018, at 04:16, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

Would someone please apply this patch to the website code so pglife
(http://pglife.momjian.us/) can more easily scrape the current release
numbers from the website?   Thanks.

While harmless enough, I’m not a huge fan of adding identifiers to the site
which are not in use in the site code, such non-obvious external dependencies
make the code harder to maintain.

Yes, while I’d love to support the version feed into pglife, I’m a -1 in
general on this patch:

1. There was a glut of IDs in the old styles and I don’t want to
start adding more unless there is a specific reason necessary for
supporting functionality on pgweb itself.

2. Typically websites make “structured information” as such available
via APIs or other interfaces, which I believe Magnus points out in a different
reply is achievable via a RSS feed[1].

I don’t think we should be adding more classes/IDs just for structured
information in the markup unless it’s being used to support pgweb
itself, because as Daniel points out it does become a maintenance issue
(speaking from firsthand experience).

If we do want to have more “structured” resources, I’d suggest either more
feeds (which seems to be the current PostgreSQL way of making things
available). The reason I’m not suggesting as RESTful API is I don’t see
the need for one just yet, as that has its own maintainability issues.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/versions.rss - appears to be working too! :-)