Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Дата
Список pgsql-general
No, I don't have any virus programs installed.

Bill, you wrote earlier :

"
Additionally, this convinces me further that you're chasing the wrong
problem.  The stats collector writes tiny bits of information to disk
every time you execute a command.  If your system is slow because of this
tiny bit of I/O, then something else is wrong.  Either your system is
already near its max capacity and this is pushing it over the edge, or
you're fixing the wrong problem.

"

If this was true, that is that only small bits should be written, why is the total write size each time around 57kB (for 15 write ops)? Thats also the size of the file pgstat.tmp. At this time, there is for that posgres process 33,330 I/O Writes, with a total size of 129,221,526 Bytes.

Filtering for that PID, the only action seems to be WriteFile, CreateFile, CloseFile, SetRenameInformationFile and 2-3 other types with WriteFile being the dominant one.
The files touched is pgstat.tmp and pgstat.stat, pgstat.tmp being the dominant one.

As I understand it, writes occur frequently on pgstat.tmp which in the next step gets renamed and replaces pgstat.stat with a setRenameInformationFile with information on Detail : ReplaceIfExists: True, FileName: ....\global\pgstat.stat

I turned off AutoVacuum, and restarted PG but this was still going on.

I would like to move the PGdata to the pictures disk.

"
You can just pick up the data directory and relocate it, then config
PostgreSQL to look for the data directory in the new location, or create
a symlink.
"

Where can I find that file? I found out that its the pgdata variable but couldn't find out what file it was.

thanks / Jennifer