Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04.11.21 20:54, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Finally, morally related, there is some Python 2/3 compat code in
>> contrib/unaccent/generate_unaccent_rules.py that could be removed. Also,
>> arguably, change the shebang line in that script.
>
> Hm. So far the python used for plpython and python for code generation etc is
> independent. I don't know if plpython actually can be cross-compiled, but if
> so, they'd have to be independent.  Otherwise I'd say we should just invoke
> contrib/unaccent/generate_unaccent_rules.py with a python chosen by
> configure/meson, rather than relying on a shebang that can't be adjusted
> without modifying source code.

We don't rely on the shebang for running this (see Makefile).  I just
see some trend of people changing shebang lines as a sort of signal,
"this script has abandoned Python 2".  It's not very important.

> Another thing I wondered about is what we want to do with the extension
> names. Do we want to leave it named plpython3u? Do we want to have a plpython
> that depends on plpython3u?

I would tend to mirror what the Python community does with
/usr/bin/python.  Right now, most people are removing /usr/bin/python
and just provide /usr/bin/python3.  This would be analogous to what your
patch does.  Some time in the future, they may add /usr/bin/python back,
and then we could do the same, meaning add a plpythonu that depends on
plpython3u.