Re: Schema partitioning

От Little, Douglas
Тема Re: Schema partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I generally would separate different apps into different schema.

doug

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of David Johnston
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 8:20 AM
To: Charlie
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Schema partitioning

On Sep 1, 2011, at 14:13, Charlie <scorpdaddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Could I get feedback from the community on schema partitioning?
>
> I'm doing maintenance on my ddl and I'm noticing that my tables are all in 1 schema, but they have prefixes on their
nameslike table_app1_sometable, table_app1_secondtable,  table_app2_anothertable, table_priviledged_restrictedtable1,
etc. The table_app1 tables seem to want to go in their own schema "app1", etc, and drop the prefixes.  Except they'll
stillbe there, as in app1.sometable.

> Is this just style?  Or are there concrete benefits to partitioning?

Mostly style but some ease-of-use when it comes to permissions as well.  It's really no different than why you'd use
sub-directoriesin your OS instead of putting everything in C/root.

It does give you namespaces features as well (I.e., duplicate names but in different contexts).

David J.