Bizarre coding in _bt_binsrch

От Tom Lane
Тема Bizarre coding in _bt_binsrch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have been puzzling out the coding in _bt_binsrch() in
backend/access/nbtree/nbtsearch.c, with an eye to speeding it up for
the many-equal-keys case.  I have finally worked out exactly what it's
doing, to wit:
    * On a leaf page, we always return the first key >= scan key    * (which could be the last slot + 1).    *    * On
anon-leaf page, there are special cases:    *    * For an insertion (srchtype != BT_DESCENT and natts == keysz)    *
alwaysreturn first key >= scan key (which could be off the end).    *    * For a standard search (srchtype ==
BT_DESCENTand natts == keysz)    * return the first equal key if one exists, else the last lesser key    * if one
exists,else the first slot on the page.    *    * For a partial-match search (srchtype == BT_DESCENT and natts < keysz)
  * return the last lesser key if one exists, else the first slot.

This strikes me as a tad bizarre --- in particular, the discrepancy
between treatment of equal keys in the normal and partial search cases.

I think I understand why the partial-match code works that way: there
could be matching keys in the sub-page belonging to the last lesser key.
For example, if our scan target is (x = 2) and we have internal keys(x = 1, y = 2)(x = 2, y = 1)
then we need to look at the first key's subpages, where we might find
matching keys like (x = 2, y = 0).

The full-width case appears to assume that that can't happen: if we
have a given key in an upper page, there can be *no* equal keys in
subpages to its left.  That's a rather strong assumption about how
page splitting is done; is it correct?

Even more to the point, *should* it be correct?  If we always returned
the last lesser key, then the code would work for any correctly
sequenced b-tree, but this code looks like it works only if splits occur
only at the leftmost of a group of equal keys.  If there are a lot of
equal keys, that could result in a badly unbalanced tree, no?  Maybe
that's the real reason why performance seems to be so bad for many
equal keys... maybe the split algorithm needs to be relaxed?

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6