Re: splitting data into multiple tables

От Viji V Nair
Тема Re: splitting data into multiple tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM, nair rajiv <nair331@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

          I am working on a project that will take out structured content from wikipedia
and put it in our database. Before putting the data into the database I wrote a script to
find out the number of rows every table would be having after the data is in and I found
there is a table which will approximately have 5 crore entries after data harvesting.
Is it advisable to keep so much data in one table ?

It is not good to keep these much amount of data in a single table, again, it depends on your application and the database usage.

          I have read about 'partitioning' a table. An other idea I have is to break the table into
different tables after the no of rows  in a table has reached a certain limit say 10 lacs.
For example, dividing a table 'datatable' to 'datatable_a', 'datatable_b' each having 10 lac entries.

I think this wont help that much if you have a single machine. Partition the table and keep the data in different nodes. Have a look at the tools like pgpool.II

I needed advice on whether I should go for partitioning or the approach I have thought of.
          We have a HP server with 32GB ram,16 processors. The storage has 24TB diskspace (1TB/HD).
We have put them on RAID-5. It will be great if we could know the parameters that can be changed in the
postgres configuration file so that the database makes maximum utilization of the server we have.

What would be your total data base size? What is the IOPS? You should partition the db and keep the data across multiple nodes and process them in parallel.

For eg parameters that would increase the speed of inserts and selects.

pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtune/  - have a look at check the docs

Thank you in advance
Rajiv Nair

Сообщение: Re: splitting data into multiple tables
Сообщение: Re: splitting data into multiple tables