Re: Installing Postgres 8.1 on Windows Server 2003 R2

От Carl Conard
Тема Re: Installing Postgres 8.1 on Windows Server 2003 R2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've successfully installed Postgres 8.1.2 on WS 2003 R2 on a Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad.  I used the default installation options and everything seems peachy keen for a single user (using localhost).

However, when we started performance testing Postgres (vs. MySQL) using a 3rd party tool (I forget the name) running on the server, Postgres would drop connections after about the 10th or 11th virtual user (of 20) hit the DB.  The remaining user processes would remain visible in Window's Task Manager and just "hang."  We've used the same tool, code, DB model, etc. on the same machine using MySQL and have gotten well over 100 virtual users with no issues.  Try as I might, I can't find anything that might indicate a cause for Postgres to drop or lock out the connections.

The app is written in PHP using PEAR DB class for DB access.  Running PHP 5.1.1, Postgres 8.1.2, latest and greatest WS 2003 R2 updates.  The app is read/write intensive.

Any help in getting us migrated from MySQL to Postgres (which, BTW, is showing about 50% performance gain over MySQL!) would be MORE than appreciated...

Carl

From: Postgres User [mailto:postgres.user@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:55 PM
To: Magnus Hagander; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres 8.1 on Windows Server 2003 R2

That's what I was afraid of... it's a new install of Win Server 2003 R2, so I can rule out any third party firewall. Windows Firewall is NOT installed.  And I've installed Postgres on a Windows XP box behind the same router, so it's not a router-firewall issue.
It's probably a new R2 feature, I'll ping someone at Microsoft because I don't have a clue at this point what the problem is...

Jon

On 1/8/06, Magnus Hagander <mha@sollentuna.net> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to install Postgres on Windows Sever 2003
> version R2?  R2 is actually shipping as a 'new' Microsoft
> product- it's basically an interim update to Windows Server (
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/whatsnewinr2.msp
> x <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/whatsnewinr2.mspx> ).

Not that I know of, but it's been on my list of things to try :-)

> I've installed Postgres on other versions of Windows with no
> problem, so I'm afraid that the error I'm seeing now is
> related to some great new 'feature' from Microsoft.  Here's
> the error message returned by Postgres before install begins-
> Error binding the test network socket: 10013

That error means: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way
forbidden by its access permissions.

> Microsoft Antispyware has been turned off (closed the
> application) and Windows Firewall isn't running.  There's no
> other AV or firewall software on this system yet.
>
> Any ideas on what might be going on?

It certainly *sounds* a lot like a firewall issue :-) I'd double and
triple check that. We've seen it several times before and it has AFAIK
always been a firewall.

//Magnus