Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)
Дата
Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:

> I prefer the $1 approach, others can't use that, and there are
> situations where I could not either.
>
> So, how about defaulting to the '?' approach, but have a method
> to explicitly set the mode - to switch to using '$'?

Are you suggesting that we implement something other than what is
described in these documents for prepared statement parameters?:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/PreparedStatement.html

http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/jcp/jdbc-4_1-mrel-spec/jdbc4.1-fr-spec.pdf

If so, I strongly oppose that.  If we are not going to deprecate
use of the question mark character for operators, we need some
nonstandard hack to our JDBC implementation, but an alternative
syntax for specifying PreparedStatement and CallableStatement
parameters seems entirely the wrong way to go.

The issue here is what to do about the difficulties in using JDBC
prepared statements in combination with the PostgreSQL extension of
operator names containing question marks.  Using a double question
mark is not horrible as a solution.  It may not be what we would
have arrived at had the discussion taken place on the pgsql-jdbc
list rather than underneath a github pull request, but we can
only move forward from where we are.

Out of curiosity, how long has the ?? solution been implemented in
a driver jar file available as a public download?  What are the
guidelines for what discussion belongs on the pgsql-jdbc list and
what discussion belongs on github?  Is someone interested in
participating in the discussions leading to decisions about our
JDBC connector expected to follow both?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com