Re: Binary tx format for an array?

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Binary tx format for an array?
Дата
Re: Binary tx format for an array?  (Mark Lewis <mark.lewis@mir3.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 23-Jun-06, at 8:56 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

>>> enough. At
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this is not possible. :( And one of the reasons that
>>> I've not spent a lot of time on this.
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> the page Message Formats
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/protocol-message-
>> formats.html)
>> specifies that the bind message should send the following for each
>> parameter:
>>
>>    Int16 - The number of parameter format codes that follow (denoted
>> C below). This can be zero to indicate that there are no
>> parameters or
>> that the parameters all use the default format (text); or one, in
>> which case the specified format code is applied to all parameters; or
>> it can equal the actual number of parameters.
>>
>>    Int16[C] - The parameter format codes. Each must presently be zero
>> (text) or one (binary).
>>
>> Does your understanding of the spec mean that the Int16[C] must
>> either
>> be an array containg all zero's, or all ones? It reads as though
>> these
>> can be mixed.
>
> Actually, it's the return value that is either/or . It appears that
> input parameters can be mixed.
Hmmm maybe I should read before sending. It appears that both input,
and output can be text. The only catch with output is that you have
to do a describe first to get the types. This may negate any gains on
small result sets, but certainly for large ones it would help.

От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: Binary tx format for an array?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Binary tx format for an array?