Re: pgsql and streams

От Christopher Condit
Тема Re: pgsql and streams
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks for your response, Josh.  Actually I’m looking for the most general way to do this, since my remote database might not be psql.  In fact, I will probably be streaming through a java process.  So I’d like to go from the java process directly into the psql db.  Is it still possible?

From: Josh Rovero [mailto:rovero@sonalysts.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:34 PM
To: Christopher Condit; pgsql-general
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgsql and streams

Chris Condit wrote:

I'm new to Postgres and have a question about bulk loading from streams.
I know that I can bulk load from a file using COPY. Is it possible to
use a stream instead of a file? If so, and I limited to stdin? I'm
attempting to stream data from a remote database into my Postgres
instance. I don't want to insert each tuple individually using jdbc
since that would be horribly slow...

You can execute a pg_dump on the remote host (see -h or --host options
to pg_dump) and pipe it to a psql on the local host.  That should
replicate the remote database to your host over the network.

You can also use the "-h hostname" option on psql to exectue
a "copy to file" on the remote host.  The file ends up on your local
system, where you can do a subsequent copy from file.

Hope this helps,