Re: Postgresql Hardware

От Alan McKay
Тема Re: Postgresql Hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> How can i take some measurements to understand what bottlenecks will
> appear?

For long-term / ongoing I'm very happy so far with a package called
munin.  Google it and join their mailing list for help setting it up.

But it takes snapshots at 5 minute intervals and this is not configurable.

For immediate-term and for doing load tests, I've been very happy with
sar/sadc from the "sysstat" package that you can get from yum.  And
also a package called ksar that you can google and download.

From our wiki :

---snip---

Before starting your load test, start this command on all boxes you
want to monitor

 /usr/lib/sa/sadc -d -I -F 2 /var/log/foo/bar

or on a 64 bit box

 /usr/lib64/sa/sadc -d -I -F 2 /var/log/foo/bar

It will log system stats at 2 second intervals, until you control-C it.

Then you can view the file in kSar.

   * go to "File" then "New Window"
   * from the new window go to "Data", "Local Command"
   * enter the command sar -A -f /var/log/foo/bar

That's it! Now you will have some pretty graphs to look at!