Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 12 Nov 2021, at 15:24, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 01:51:28PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> While reading through and working with the hundreds of patches in the CF app a
>> small feature/process request struck me: it would be really helpful if the
>> patch had a brief abstract outlining what it aims to add or fix (or summary,
>> description or something else; not sure what to call it).  Basically a
>> two-sentence or so version of the email posting the patch to -hackers.
>
> This seems fine ; that purpose is partially served (and duplicated) by the
> patch commit messages (if used).

That's the problem, many patches are in diff format and don't have commit
messages at all.  There are also many entries with patchsets containing
multiple patches and thus commitmessages but the app will only link to one.

> Actually, it's already possible to add an "annotation" to a given message-id.
> I've just added this here: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/35/2800/
>
> I think this that feature is rarely used, but I can see the value in using it
> more, for long threads.

I consider this feature very valuable, but I don't see it as a replacement for
a text field Abstract in the patch entry.