Re: Definitional issue: stddev_pop (and related) for 1 input

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Definitional issue: stddev_pop (and related) for 1 input
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
> The patch looks reasonable, except I wonder if all compilers are smart
> enough to realise that totCount is always initialised.

I think they should be, since that if-block ends with a return;
the only way to get to the use of totCount is for both parts of the
first if-condition to be executed.

In any case, we do have an effective policy of ignoring
uninitialized-variable warnings from very old/stupid compilers.
locust and prairiedog, which I think use the same ancient gcc
version, emit a couple dozen such warnings.  If they are the only
ones that complain about this new code, I'll not worry.

Thanks for looking at the patch!