Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability

От Florian Weimer
Тема Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability
Дата
Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability
Список pgsql-general
* Greg Smith:

> Intel claims their Annual Failure Rate (AFR) on their SSDs in IT
> deployments (not OEM ones) is 0.6%.  Typical measured AFR rates for
> mechanical drives is around 2% during their first year, spiking to 5%
> afterwards.  I suspect that Intel's numbers are actually much better
> than the other manufacturers here, so a SSD from anyone else can
> easily be less reliable than a regular hard drive still.

I'm a bit concerned with usage-dependent failures.  Presumably, two SDDs
in a RAID-1 configuration are weared down in the same way, and it would
be rather inconvenient if they failed at the same point.  With hard
disks, this doesn't seem to happen; even bad batches fail pretty much
randomly.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99